This is a family favorite that we haven’t dusted off in a while. I originally found it in Clean Eating Magazine and lucky for us they posted it on their website! I am not a fan of black pepper so I leave it out. In this recipe they call for whole wheat bread crumbs which I’m allergic to so I’ve always made these with corn starch and they are delicious.
- 1 lb ground turkey breast
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup
whole-wheat bread crumbscorn starch
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup frozen yellow or white corn (I use frozen corn)
- 1 15-oz BPA-free can low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed well
- 2 cups diced vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large bowl, combine turkey, egg whites, salt and corn starch
bread crumbs, salt and pepperand mix well. Shape into 16 meatballs, each about the size of a golf ball.
- In a large skillet, heat oil on medium-high. Add meatballs and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, turning frequently, until browned on all sides. Add corn, beans, tomatoes, broth, lime juice and cumin and mix well. Reduce heat to medium, partially cover and cook for an additional 3 to 5 minutes, until meatballs are cooked through. Stir in cilantro and serve.