I scream, you scream we all scream for…oh wait. Ice Cream isn’t on many healthy eating plans that I know of. Sad! True that I live by the 80/20 rule in that I eat really well at least 80% of the time leaving 20% for indulgences. I believe true health comes from balance in all things, including food indulgences on occasions. We can’t deny there is joy in eating treats with family and friends. However, maybe you crave ice cream just a little too often? Of maybe you want a protein rich just before bedtime treat without counting it as a true indulgence or towards your 20%? In that case…enter my new favorite recipe – Protein Ice Cream! No ice cream maker required.
So far I’ve been enjoying the winter Christmas-y flavor of this Peppermint blend. Growing up there was a small mom and pop ice cream shop that we’d walk to on occasion and my favorite flavor was their candy cane ice cream. This mix reminds me so much of it! However, in the back of my mind I have a million different ideas to switch this up. Chocolate Protein powder with some carob chips in place of the peppermints? Or maybe chocolate peppermint? YUM! How about some salted vanilla with just a touch of caramel on the top? I’ve even seen some Paleo caramel recipes out there…
I mention this because this recipe is out here for you to play with. Change it up and enjoy it, guilt free. Well guilt free is certainly dependent on which toppings you choose of course 😉
Peppermint Protein Ice Cream – recipe yields 2 servings:
1 cup almond milk (I used an almond/coconut blend)
1 scoop whey protein isolate (I’m currently using Dymatize Iso-100 Birthday Cake Flavor and no I don’t get money for mentioning them I just LOVE their whey protein powders!)
1/4 cup 2% Greek yogurt (Fage is rick and creamy)
1/2 tsp peppermint extract
4 peppermint candies (at 20 calories each 2 of these per serving will not blow your diet!)
1/2 cup old school (non-sea salt) finely ground salt. The cheapest stuff in the store will do.
Crush the peppermints as small as you would like them and set them aside. You can use a mortar and pistol or just take a hammer to them. Beware – if you choose the hammer method put a paper towel under and over them. The bags will pop open and spew small pieces of candy everywhere upsetting your spouse. Not that I found that out the hard way or anything…
In a small blender or by hand mix all ingredients except for the salt and crushed peppermints.
Empty the mix into a sandwich sized Ziploc bag. Add the peppermints. Seal the bag tight and mix lightly.
Now fill a gallon sized Ziploc bag with ice. Add your salt to the bag. Put the small bag into the larger bag and seal it. I recommend putting on a pair of heavy gloves now if your hands get cold like mine do.
Now shake it. Shake shake shake for 5 minutes. It’s arm burning calorie burning fun!
After 5 minute take the small bag out, put your ice cream into a bowl and enjoy your guilt free treat 🙂