Today’s Friday fit tip is about gym etiquette. We have a lot of new people in the gym this time of year. We also have a lot of regulars who need a reminder or 2. So here’s a list of some things to keep in mind when going to the gym.
1. Always carry a hand towel. You’re at the gym to sweat, use your hand towel to wipe yourself down rather than leaving a trail of puddles behind you.
2. Whether you are sweating or not, please wipe down the machines and benches after you use them! Most gyms have paper towels and disinfectant spray. Do your part in keeping the gym clean and hygienic by wiping off your benches or machines when you are done.
3, Put your weights back in their proper place. Yes, this goes for any equipment you move, but please please please re-rack your weights! When you leave the bench press set up with large weights on it, it looks like the machine is still in use. Some of us aren’t shy and will go use it anyway, others end up not using the machine even though you are done with it. You should always put the weights back in their proper place so others don’t have to walk around looking for where the plate or dumbbells they need are hidden. Especially annoying is having to move 45 pound plates to grab the 25 pounders because some lazy person put the 45s on the 25 pound spots. Most gyms have labels for each of the weights. Put them back in their proper spot!
4. Let others work in with you. If you are doing a set and resting between, let others work in with you. It is quite ok to politely walk up to someone and ask if you can work in. Therefore you should say yes when others ask you for the same. When you work in with someone, you should make note of the settings the other person had the machines on (seat height, weights, etc) and reset the machine to their settings when you are done with your set.
5. Don’t hog the equipment. Along with #4,do not be that person sitting idly on a machine playing on your phone. The gym is crowded. Don’t just sit their texting your friends while others are waiting.
6. Again, don’t hot the equipment. I know you want to do circuits and sets but unless you are the only person at the gym that day (highly unlikely) only take 1 set of dumbbells, barbells, machine at a time.
7. Do not wear perfume. I know, it’s your signature scent. But here’s the deal. It can trigger allergies or even asthma in others. As you sweat, the smell intensifies. Please, do not wear perfume or cologne to the gym, save it for your hot date later in the week.
Above all: Do unto others, smile, be polite. The same advice for life works in the gym.
What did I forget? What are your gym pet peeves?