Today’s fit tip is about weight lifting. Let me start by addressing the ladies out there. Ladies, you will NOT get big and bulky from lifting weights! You will not. Period. Not without the help of illegal substances so stop letting a fear of getting bulky stop you from significantly improving your health. Now, get off the treadmill (for just a bit, cardio is important too!) and head over to the weight lifting area of the gym. Why? Well you could easily google “benefits of weightlifting” and you will be hit with thousands of lists. Here are 5 of my favorite reasons to lift:
1. You will burn more calories at rest. That’s right, muscle burns more calories than fat so your metabolic rate will be accelerated even when you aren’t actively working out.
2. Increased bone density. As we age, our bones lose density possibly resulting in Osteopenia or Osteoperosis. This is especially true for women due to hormonal changes as we age (this is a topic for an entire book so I won’t go into detail). The increased stress on your muscles and bones from lifting weights will help you increase your bone density.
3. Fight age related muscular degeneration. As we age, we can lose as much as 3-5% of our muscle mass per decade. Lifting weights will allow us to maintain our muscle mass (and metabolic rates) as we age.
4. Mental strength. An amazing side effect of growing physically strong is our mental strength increases as well!
5. Aesthetics. Plain and simple muscles on both men and women are sexy. You won’t build sexy muscles using high reps and low weights. Lift heavy weights. Eat right and you will look and feel better than you ever have!