I haven’t actually made this yet but I thought it might be a great option for those of us who are gluten free or those watching their carb intake this Thanksgiving. I found this recipe here and made just some minor adaptations for those following a more strict eating plan.
Bread Free Stuffing
1 lb mild Italian pork or chicken sausage, casing removed
4 ½ cups mushrooms, diced
1 medium yellow onion, diced
6 celery stalks, diced
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon diced fresh sage
½ tsp minced fresh thyme leaves
½ cup slivered almonds
½ tablespoon minced garlic
4 tablespoons butter or ghee
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large soup pot, sauté onions in butter, or ghee until translucent.
- Add the sausage and brown.
- Add the celery, mushrooms, chicken broth, almonds, sage, thyme, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Mix well, bring to a simmer, and cook for 5-10 minutes or until the veggies begin to absorb the chicken broth.
- Transfer to a large glass baking dish, cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake at 350 for 45 minutes